Firstly, we would like to welcome back all of our children and families. We hope you have all had a fantastic half term. It has been wonderful see all of the exciting homework projects that have been undertaken and the children have started our topic of celebrations around the world with a wealth of knowledge to share.
After introducing our topic and sharing what we had found out over the holiday, the children learnt about the history of Halloween in more detail. We looked at how Halloween is celebrated across the world and used our geographical knowledge and skills to locate and name the 7 continents and 5 oceans of the world.
In English we have been reading Winnie the Witch. The children have loved this story and it has inspired some brilliant descriptive writing. We are now using colours to describe and add detail to our sentences and many children are able to extend their sentences using the word ‘and’. At the end of the week we moved on to asking questions about the story, using the correct punctuation. You could help your child to consolidate their understanding of question words by getting them to think of some questions about the things they do at the weekend.
The children wowed us in maths with their fantastic knowledge of 3d shapes. We have been discussing the difference between 2d and 3d shapes and using our reasoning skills to investigate their properties as well as naming and sorting them.
We have a very busy and exciting week ahead planned. Amongst other things, we will:
- Be using our senses to write descriptive poems about Bonfire Night.
- Learning why we celebrate Bonfire Night and who Guy Fawkes was.
- Making Bonfire and Firework inspired art using a range of materials.
- Using a range of methods to add, including mental strategies.
- Thinking about why we commemorate Remembrance Day and wear poppies.
– There is a Parent/Carer meeting on 17th November 5pm until 6.30-pm (letters to go out tonight). There will be snacks and beverages available and this meeting will be a great opportunity to share your ideas and thoughts about how we can support your child and family.